North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation joins national effort to urge Canadians to leave a gift to charity in their wills while still supporting loved ones - NBRHC

North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation joins national effort to urge Canadians to leave a gift to charity in their wills while still supporting loved ones

Posted on

North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation has joined more than 500 charities, financial advisors and legal professionals from across Canada for the launch of Will Power™, a national public education effort designed to show Canadians the power they have to make a difference with their Wills. Campaign organizers anticipate that if enough Canadians join the effort and leave a charitable gift in their Will, as much as $40 billion dollars could be pledged in the next 10 years for important social causes like your local healthcare needs.

Community generosity has an impact on care available at NBRHC every day. Donations have helped build our hospital, purchase our first MRI, two new CT scanners and so much more – this includes donations made through Wills. Last year, a donation made through the Will of Marilyn & Bud Mitchell helped purchase pumps to support pain management throughout the hospital.

“It was important for the Foundation to join the Will Power campaign because our Wills have the incredible power to make change in the world for the causes close to our hearts,” says Tammy Morison, President & CEO, NBRHCF. “The more people that talk about this powerful giving option, the more social good can be achieved for our entire community.”

The national participation rate for charitable giving through Wills in Canada is currently 5 per cent. The goal of the Will Power™ campaign is to increase it to 8.5 per cent by 2030. There are more than 20 countries around the world with similar campaigns aimed at inspiring their public to leave gifts in Wills to charity.

Research conducted by the CAGP Foundation shows that 86% of Canadians are aware they can leave a charitable gift in a Will, but more than 60% choose not to because they believe it would take away from their loved ones. But it’s not an either/or proposition – everyone can leave a gift to charity while still taking care of those they love most.

It may come as a surprise that even 1% left to charity in a Will can make an enormous impact on a cause like your hospital, while still leaving 99% of a person’s estate for their family. Leaving a small portion of an estate to charity could result in a bigger contribution than most people would ever think possible, while still supporting those they love.

We encourage everyone to visit the Will Power™ website to learn about gifts in Wills and get tips on estate planning, calculate your potential gift, or contact a financial or legal advisor to take that next step. You can also visit our Will Power webpage here to learn about how NBRHC Foundation typically uses charitable bequests.


Kendra Clarke, CFRE
Senior Development Officer
North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation
*TEXT/VM: 705-492-5274

About North Bay Regional Health Centre Foundation

The NBRHC Foundation raises funds to ensure that your Health Centre can continue to expand hospital services, develop new programs, and bring leading-edge medical technology and treatment to the people of North Bay and regional communities. Through generous support of donors, the community helps ensure that the best health care will always be within reach. Find out more at

About CAGP and the CAGP Foundation

Will Power™ is a campaign of the CAGP Foundation in partnership with the Canadian Association of Gift Planners (CAGP). The CAGP Foundation aims to financially support the development and promotion of excellence in charitable gift planning in Canada; CAGP is a national professional association that brings together charitable fundraisers and advisors advancing strategic charitable giving in their communities. Both organizations believe that we can build a better world by putting the power of philanthropy in the hands of many more Canadians, through gifts in wills and other types of strategic giving. Find out more at  /

North Bay

50 College Drive,
P.O. Box 2500
North Bay, ON
P1B 5A4
Tel: 705-474-8600

feature buttons


680 Kirkwood Drive,
Sudbury, ON
P3E 1X3
Tel: 705-675-9193
Fax: 705-675-6817

feature buttons

Floor Plans

Let us guide you to where you need to go.

Visitors Guide

feature buttons