Clinical Assessment Centre

The Health Centre’s Clinical Assessment Centre is a medical clinic that can test, assess, and provide treatment for people with COVID-19 and other cold and flu-like illnesses.

Adults and children (ages 2 and up) concerned about worsening mild to moderate cold and flu symptoms can book an appointment to be assessed by a physician.

The Centre can be reached at 705-474-8600 ext. 4110 and select ‘1’.

Walk ins are not accepted at this time.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19 and other cold and flu-like illnesses?

Below are some of the symptoms you may have when you have COVID-19 or other cold and flu-like illnesses:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough (not related to other causes such as allergies)
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Decreased or loss of taste or smell
  • Runny nose or nasal congestion
  • Headache
  • Extreme tiredness
  • Sore throat
  • Muscle aches or joint pain
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms (such as vomiting or diarrhea)
  • Abdominal pain (not related to other causes)
  • Pink eye (not related to other causes)

When should I visit the clinical assessment centre?

If you have a primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner), call them first if you or your child have any symptoms and feel that you need medical care.

Your primary care provider will give you advice about what to do next. This may include:

  • Caring for yourself or your child at home
  • Seeing your primary care provider either virtually or in-person
  • Going to the clinical assessment centre

Consider making an appointment at the clinical assessment centre if:

  • You do not have a primary care provider
  • Your symptoms or your child’s symptoms are getting worse or are not improving, and you feel that you need medical care
  • You have been told by any health professional to go to the clinical assessment centre

You can also consider contacting Health Connect Ontario or a walk-in clinic. At Health Connect Ontario, you can get advice from a nurse at any time of day by calling 811 or by online chat at

You might also find this tip sheet made by family doctors helpful. It provides tips on deciding when to seek care for a child with respiratory illness and how to support your child at home.

Will I get antiviral treatment if I have COVID-19?

High-risk individuals with COVID compatible symptoms for less than 7 days and a positive Rapid Antigen Test for COVID-19 should call the Centre to determine eligibility for antiviral treatment (such as Paxlovid or IV Remdesivir). Walk-ins are not accepted at this time and patients with severe symptoms should still attend the Emergency Department or call 911.

The Centre can be reached at 705-474-8600 ext. 4110 and select ‘2′.

*High-risk individuals include anyone 60 years old or older regardless of number of vaccines and anyone with a weakened immune system as a result of a medical condition, organ or stem cell transplant and/or certain medications.  If you have two or less vaccines, you may still qualify for treatment based on your other medical conditions.

Can I get a PCR swab for COVID-19?

The Centre continues to test:

  1. Patients requiring a PCR test before Cancer Treatment (Chemo/Radiation), surgery at Health Sciences North or other requesting hospital(s); also Drug/Alcohol Treatment Facilities, LTC and Senior’s/Assisted Living Residences/Group Homes as part of their admission requirements;
  2. Anyone who calls and identifies as Immune Compromised either due to a medical condition, organ transplant and/or immune suppressant medications.  The reason for PCR testing is these individual may not mount a sufficient immune response to trigger a positive result on the RADT;  and
  3. First Nations residents or individuals working/travelling to a First Nations location.

If you have been exposed to COVID-19, have symptoms, or for screening purposes, take the COVID-19 self-assessment for recommendations and next steps.

Ontario is distributing free rapid antigen tests through participating pharmacy and grocery locations for at-home use. If you test positive on a rapid antigen test, you no longer require confirmation with a PCR test (nasopharyngeal swab). Please presume you have COVID-19 and follow the Ontario guidelines.

Do not come to the Emergency Department for COVID-19 testingThe Emergency Department is focused on providing emergency care to the community.

When do I need to go to the emergency department?

If you or your child develop severe symptoms, call 911 or go to the emergency department.

For adults, severe symptoms include:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Confusion

For children, severe symptoms include:

  • Working hard or straining to breathe – for example, the lower chest is moving in more than normal when the child breathes, the child is grunting, or the child’s nostrils are flaring
  • Bluish skin
  • Unable to breastfeed or drink
  • Very sleepy or difficult to wake
  • Peeing less than usual
  • Fever with rash
  • Seizures or convulsions
  • Fever in an infant younger than 3 months

If you are worried your child is seriously ill, call 911 or go to the emergency department.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Assessment Centre located?

The assessment centre is located at the west end of the North Bay Regional Health Centre. You will see signage that indicates to the location–please see map below.


Click image above to view a larger PDF.

For the safety of yourself and others, please DO NOT use the main hospital entrance. Our Assessment Centre can be accessed by entering off highway 17 and turning left at the stop sign.

What are the hours of operation?

Our Assessment Centre is open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Is parking available?

Parking is free and available in public lot #9—across from the Assessment Centre entrance.

How do I find out my results?

  • You can find your COVID-19 test results by visiting this website.
  • A healthcare worker will also contact you directly if your result is positive

Need to book a test for travel?

Self-assessment tool

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms or have been in close contact with someone who has it, use this self-assessment tool can help you determine if you need to seek further care.

North Bay

50 College Drive,
P.O. Box 2500
North Bay, ON
P1B 5A4
Tel: 705-474-8600

feature buttons


680 Kirkwood Drive,
Sudbury, ON
P3E 1X3
Tel: 705-675-9193
Fax: 705-675-6817

feature buttons

Floor Plans

Let us guide you to where you need to go.

Visitors Guide

feature buttons